Job Title: Full-Time Paralegal
Reports to: Managing Paralegal
Status: Non-Exempt; Full-Time (40 hours per week)
Date: January 18, 2022
The Learning Rights Law Center (LRLC) is a non-profit organization that provides direct legal services to students who are not receiving an equitable public education, runs an Education Rights Clinic for broad legal consultation support, and engages in a variety of community training and outreach efforts to further the organization’s mission and goals. LRLC is located near downtown Los Angeles, but is presently functioning in an entirely remote capacity. The organization currently focuses its efforts on the most vulnerable low-income K-12 students in Los Angeles, Ventura, and Orange Counties, but hopes to expand its reach (particularly as educational law shifts to be a more remote-based practice).
Learning Rights Law Center fights to achieve education equity for underserved families in Los Angeles and surrounding counties. We provide free and low-cost legal representation, advice, advocacy and training to children, their families and communities who, as a consequence of disability or discrimination, have been denied equal access to a public education.
JOB SUMMARY: This position provides a Paralegal with the opportunity to serve a public interest nonprofit organization. The Paralegal will be expected to independently carry out all responsibilities for a standard case load for direct representation matters, and will be expected to also support the Legal Director and Staff Attorneys on all direct representation cases. The Paralegal will also be asked, from time to time, to support with LRLC’s Education Rights Clinic intake and settlement monitoring workflow, act as an interpreter, and to engage in community engagement and outreach and training programs.
· Paralegal Certificate or comparable experience
· Understanding of special education law or willingness to self-study or undergo a recommended course of study to become familiar with relevant statutes and rulings
· Ability to relate easily and respectfully with low-income parents
· Excellent time management and organizational skills
· Strong attention to detail
· Ability to prioritize and work independently
· Knowledge of/experience preparing pleadings (Tables of Authorities, formatting, etc) for filing and filing pleadings in Federal and State courts
· Spanish Language Proficiency Required – This position requires the paralegal to be able to engage in direct client communications with Spanish speakers and, at times, to provide interpretation to support attorneys within LRLC.
Legal Department Direct Representation
· The Paralegal will be asked to support direct representation matters and will be expected to conduct records reviews, prepare pleadings, file pleadings with the Office of Administrative Hearings, State, and Federal Court, handle calendaring and case management, and assist in all stages of representation as needed.
· Oversee case opening and closing procedures and engage in direct communication with clients to help them understand the status of their cases and representation.
Education Rights Clinic
· The Paralegal will also assist the ERC in efforts to enforce settlement agreements and monitor progress for prior LRLC direct representation clients.
All application materials must be received on or before February 9, 2022. Interviews are anticipated to be completed before February 25, 2022 with offers or candidates notified of or scheduled for second interviews on, or before March 4, 2022. This position will begin after March 15, 2022. The position will have a 3 month probationary period Although LRLC is operating remotely, all employees are required to be vaccinated with up-to-date booster shots unless medically advised otherwise.
Learning Rights Law Center is an equal opportunity employer. People with disabilities, people of color, women, and other minorities are strongly encouraged to apply. Starting rate for the paralegal position is $24.50 per hour. All full-time employees are eligible for a generous benefits package that includes subsidized health and dental insurance, paid holidays, paid personal, sick, and vacation days, and life and long-term disability insurance.
To apply, send cover letter, resume, and writing sample to email@example.com. Please include “Paralegal” in the subject line.